Rick Ferri, a guest of today’s episode, is a well-known person in the investment industry for years. He is a retired US Marine and fighter pilot. He worked as a broker and portfolio manager in an investment company and got the CFA title. Currently, he works mainly as a consultant in the area of cheap index investing. Rick is also the author of numerous books for investors and the host of the Bogleheads podcast, which is for anyone looking for a smart approach to investing and personal finance.
In this episode, we talk about the philosophy of index investing proposed by Jack Bogle, founder of Vanguard. You will learn about the reasons why Rick proposes to invest through cheap index funds and ETFs. Rick also explains how to approach building a portfolio step by step. I ask my guest, among other things, what will happen when everyone starts to invest passively.
In this episode
- Who’s Rick?
- How can military experience be used on investment ground?
- Why successful investors need to possess three attributes: philosophy, strategy and discipline, and what does it mean?
- What is index investing?
- Where’s the border between index investing and active investing?
- What is a typical way for index investors?
- Does Rick believe that individual investor can have an active winning strategy and be able to use it?
- What happens if everyone would invest following index philosophy?
- How to acquire enough discipline to “stay the course”?
- How should the correct way of building a portfolio look like?
- Are bonds still useful in the era of very low interest rates?
- Why is Jack Bogle such an icon in the investment world?
People mentioned in this episode
- Warren Buffett
- Wes Gray
- John “Jack” Bogle
- Eugene Fama
- Kenneth French
- All About Asset Allocation, Rick Ferri
- All About Index Funds: The Easy Way to Get Started, Rick Ferri
- The ETF Book: All You Need to Know About Exchange-Traded Funds, Rick Ferri
- The Power of Passive Investing: More Wealth with Less Work, Rick Ferri
- Protecting Your Wealth in Good Times and Bad, Rick Ferri
- Serious Money – Straight Talk about Investing for Retirement, Rick Ferri
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to Retirement Planning, Taylor Larimore (Author), Mel Lindauer (Author), Rick Ferri (Author), Laura F. Dogu (Author), John C. Bogle (Foreword)
Do you like what you see?
If you want me to inform you next time I have a new article/podcast episode, sign up below for my newsletter!
There was an error submitting your subscription. Please try again.